Welcome to the blogspot!!!!!


Saturday, February 5, 2011

Scottish Wool hat


Remember when I washed, carded and spun a whole bunch of wool I got from a farmer in Scotland just outside of Selkirk? If not, I suggest you look back through the blog and refresh yourselves because I have finally made something out of the yarn that I made. It's the natural colour of the sheep, so it's from the yarn I made that I did not dye red/orange (that yarn is contemplating an uncertain future as a decoration amongst carding supplies etc on top of my bookcase).
The design of the hat was a bit of an improvisation. I had made fingerless gloves with a knotwork pattern before, so I took that pattern and changed the knotwork to make it look more like a continuous sailors knot... if it can be called that. I used two knitting needles to begin with and made a headband using my celtic knotwork pattern. Checking the size on my head to make sure it was the right size, I sewed the beginning and end together but it turned out too tight. I ripped it out and added more of the pattern. After I did this I used four double sided needles to make stitches around the top of the headband and create the top head part of the hat. I knitted along using the stockinette stitch and decreased when I felt like it needed it until I turned out with this (see picture).

1 comment: