Welcome to the blogspot!!!!!


Saturday, July 17, 2010

Highland Games


Today we woke up bright and early to drive out to Loch Lomond for the Highland games in Balloch. It took us about an hour drive to get to the park for the games. We got there a bit too early so we could explore the area a bit and find out where they were starting the triathlon. You may be thinking "a triathlon as a part of highland games?", and that's exactly what we thought too. This highland games had eveything from the regular cabor toss, hammer throw, tug of war, pipe bands and highland dancing to triathlon, running races, and bike racing.

"You'll take the high road and I'll take the Low road and I'll be in Scotland before ye, but me and my true love will never meet again on the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond". This is the swim start for the triathlon and at first we thought the starter had a bagpipe in his case but he had a fiddle instead. He played and sang The Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond with the triathletes joining in. Nice touch Lomond Triathlon Club, singing that song on the banks of Loch Lomond at the swim start. I sure hope this is on next year and if so, count me in!



Here's me in the wooded area under a Scottish Pine I believe. We saw a red deer hopping along just before this picture, it was probably making it's way down to the loch.

This is a picture that shows a couple of Paul's interests all happening at once. The pipe band playing in the background and a bike race going on around the track.


Oh I see, that's why the power was out in Balloch today. These men decided to throw around the telephone poles. Also, look at the height of that cabor.
I'd have to make one tiny comment about the cabor toss though... I don't know whether I am dissapointed or relieved that I could tell the men whose kilts flew up while tossing the cabor were wearing underwear. It certaintly would have been a laugh out loud moment if they weren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment