Welcome to the blogspot!!!!!


Saturday, June 19, 2010

Culzean Castle


A few minutes along the coast and through the countryside outside Ayr is Culzean Castle. Pronounced "culain castle" but I guess they thought the silent "z" would make it look exotic when written on paper. I was there to talk to somebody about volunteering there and they all seemed so nice. Paul and the kids came with me and walked around the castle while they waited for me. The kids were sent on a mission to find hidden lego men in the rooms.
I took a little walk around the castle on my own and I've got to admit that I felt probably about as awed as Elizabeth Bennet when she first went to Mr. Darcy's house.....


Here's a picture I took of the stables across from the castle. Theres little rooms up top which are now offices and a coffee shop.


On our way back we came across bands of kilted pipers, so we stopped to watch and listen for awhile.


And now for a picture that is completely off topic. A button I got that says "keep calm and make a tea" modeled after the British propoganda posters during WW2 that said "keep calm and carry on" but were never actually shown to public because they were reserved for if Germany ever invaded Britain. But I didn't get it because of that, I got it because I miss tea time at the Penticton Museum.
So now I must go and make myself some tea.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good day to go to the Culzean Castle. I always thought it was a beautiful setting there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the button says 'a tea'. I'd never thought of tea as something that could be very...singular.

    Ack! that castle is amazing! can I come please live in your backyard or something?!

    -Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Culzean really is a nice castle. Robyn, I think you're out of luck. There's someone already living in the backyard....

    ReplyDelete