Welcome to the blogspot!!!!!


Monday, February 6, 2012

Not much has changed

I am currently still waiting to get back into the trailer after the recent septic disaster. The restoration team ripped up the carpets and found a large wet patch spreading across the floor around the hot water tank. Oddly it is located behind the closet in our bedroom. This hot water tank needs to be replaced before anything else is done. Hopefully it gets done soon, but it is unlike our situation is all that bad because we are living in our landlords house that's right next to the trailer. The house is usually empty because they live in the city and come here for weekends and holidays. This weekend they came by with flowers for me and chocolate for the kids.

Recently the pipe band we joined had their Burns night. Paul has been encouraging me to get back into the tenor drumming because I enjoy it so much. It was my first performance with the band. I wasn't sure if I would be playing with them so soon but I learned the material quickly. I often surprise myself at how quickly I can learn something. I also have been secretly practicing the chanter (I guess it's not a secret anymore), but it's just for fun.

The performance went quite well. I have new drum sticks that I bought. They're good but the only thing about them is the laces wore out within a week. I bought hockey skate laces and attached them but they kept loosening no matter how much I tried to tighten them. I'm sure you can possibly guess what happened.

Everything was fine during the practice. As soon as we finally got to performing in front of everyone and got into the circle I started doing the flourishes. Boom! my stick flew off the lace, hit me in the face and landed next to the other tenor drummer's feet! I cursed silently then reached over to retrieve my naughty drum stick.
I re-attached it and pulled it extra tight. I absolutely dreaded a reoccurrence. Thank goodness it didn't happen again. I actually did really well and nobody cared that it happened because it didn't hit anyone in the crowd (that would have been a nightmare).

I'm going to check with all the other drummers what best to do about my laces, I am thinking I might use parachute cord. I tried some drum sticks with them and it actually felt better, but I'll see.

Overall, I'm happy with the performance. Pictures are coming soon, I'm just too lazy to climb over the pile of mattresses and dressers in the living room of the trailer to retrieve the cord for the camera to hook up to the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment