Welcome to the blogspot!!!!!


Saturday, April 16, 2011

spinning wool


First of all I would like to mention a very important fact about finding and purchasing a spinning wheel for use, don't get an antique wheel unless you are a proficient craftsperson in the art of woodworking and already have tools such as a lathe. That being said, my antique spinning wheel will be nothing but an ornament at the present moment because there are many very important parts missing that I cannot replace unless I make them. Then again, buying an antique wouldn't be so bad if it came with all the parts (most of the time they don't).
But I do enjoy my antique wheel, it's a charming piece to have in my house and it gives the living room a nice country/homespun feel that I like. On the other hand, I needed something that could spin my wool. Using the drop spindle just wasn't cutting it anymore. I was getting so impatient that I chose a stool to sit on so I was higher off the ground and thus would spin more wool at one time. It probably wasn't very good form but I was desperate and it allowed me to make 200 yards of 2 ply sport weight yarn in a matter of a few days. My arms and wrists got quite the workout but I'm not complaining. At least I'll be able to knit for hours on end when I start up again without needing to stop for tired wrists (drumming helps those knitting muscles too as I've come to realize, just a tip).
Anyway, I've desired a working spinning wheel to get those jobs done faster and easier while watching tv (such as the Stanley Cup playoffs... Go Canucks!!!). So my unbelievably understandable husband Paul decided it was time for one. He drove the whole family to Calgary and got me a Lendrum foldable (for easy transportation) spinning wheel. It's made in Canada and came with all the little bits and bobs I need. Paul also made me get a drum carder to make the process all the more enjoyable. Now I can blend fibres with ease! Bring on the wool!
Before choosing to get a spinning wheel I was quite baffled and intimidated by them. A while ago I thought that the wool actually went around the wheel as it was getting spun, then I wondered how on earth that could spin it. It just didn't make any sense and it doesn't. The driver band goes around the wheel. A lady in a museum from here explained that it was made out of a candle wick material, (mine is made out of polyurethane). Anyway, the yarn is spun just like from a drop spindle but it winds on the bobbin itself and it's a faster process. It's not as hard to figure out as I once thought. And after spinning a bobbin full of yarn, I realized why it was so desirable to have a portable spinning wheel. I want to take it with me everywhere (as crazy as that sounds). I would be happy to take it to a coffee shop with a craft group, to my Mom and Dad's house, to a park on a nice sunny day, or maybe to a pub with a pint of guinness... just kidding! but then again...... ?
I love my spinning wheel, it sure keeps my mind off the latent snow that's been throwing up on us around here. I mean come on! It's mid April, shouldn't we have spring?

A few tips for storage of my spinning wheel was to never store it in a window (having worked in museums I should know this) direct sunlight is bad for the wood, never store the spinning wheel folded under the bed (then it will never be used and we can't have that now can we?), and use vaseline or sewing machine oil to lubricate the moving parts around the bobbin etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment