Welcome to the blogspot!!!!!


Friday, October 22, 2010

Highland Adventure Part III


Driving back along Lock Ness, we stopped to see the sights of Urquart Castle. Going in to see the ruins was a bit pricey. All we really wanted was a cool picture. So we took this picture from the parking lot and walked around a bit. We didn't get to walk amongst the ruins, but we got to see them. With an entire day of walking around battlefields and standing stones, it was nice to stand back for a little bit.

I stuck my feet in the water as bait for Nessie. Ideally I would have been swimming but I forgot my wetsuit, then again I probably would have still been too frozen to put my face in the water for any length of time. As I waded out into the water I noticed a couple of hungry swans drifting over for a bite to eat. I yelled to Paul to get the bread out of the car so they wouldn't attack me (yes, it is common for a swan to attack). The most aggressive swan we named "Nessie".

Paul kept throwing the bread closer to me and I was afraid the swans would go for my toes. Can you tell I was a bit afraid at the moment my picture was getting taken with "Nessie".

This is how close the swan got to us... eek, it must get people around here to feed them quite often. It stood up and flapped it's wings at us as to indicate that it was hungry.

There's no sand on the banks of Loch Ness, Only various sizes of stones. The stones are slippery with algae which makes it hard to walk around while in the water. Even though it was much different than Okanagan Lake in many ways, I felt at home here. The legend of Nessie and the Legend of Ogopogo brought together as I (a local Okanagan girl) steps foot in Loch Ness. The home of Nessie, visited by someone from the home of Ogopogo.

No comments:

Post a Comment